CAN YOU RELATE?
I am one of the sandwich generation, as so many of us are. We've been blessed with many gifts, but I have to say the challenges have been immense. I thought being the nurturer of others was behind me, having raised two boys on my own.
WAKE up Laurie! It is never really over. What is new however is that it's my turn to be nurtured by ME. I used to be a super mom. My needs were inconsequential to the needs of others. That choice came at the expense of ME. So I ask you, and I ask me, how is that working for us?
My parents have challenging health issues and at times I wonder who the children really are now? Can’t I just be a kid again with no responsibilities? Well I guess not, but this is the time of life to put myself first. The gremlins in my head are saying this is no time for a retreat for one! I have taken a lot of time off of work, taking care of others in the last 6 months, I am growing a new business and need to tend to it.
Slow down I have a choice..... am I an artist? Am I a creative being whose passion is screaming at me to come out? I am going out of town to find my balance, my center and let creativity rule in my life again. I am going on a retreat for one, for ME.
So here I am in the Berkshires. After chocolate and listening to my inner muse I am getting my Mojo back. How could I have strayed so far from her, from me? I am letting go and feel back in my body.
I have this incredible room at The Chambery Inn which once was an old schoolhouse that was moved years ago. Check out the great room above. Breakfast is delivered to my room every morning. I have been shooting everyday. As many of you know my medium of choice is infrared. Well, I felt like going out of my box would be good for me on my retreat. so I began to use my iPhone to photograph in color. The best part is I don’t have to show any of them to anyone, it was just for me. My grandmother used to say if it feels yummy doing something, then you know you are on track. I feel yummy.
My retreat for one has been a huge success. As artists we know it is all in the journey not in the arriving.
I will be ready tomorrow to head home. I am so excited about work again and clarity is abounding. What I did learn was to set aside part of the mornings for rituals, exercise and creativity. Everything else will fall into place and if I am happier and joyful and abundant, I know I will attract more of that into my life. I also am in a better place to help others.
Miracles happen when we sit back and are filled with love and joy and not when we are trying oh so hard.
It isn’t too late to take care of ourselves.







No comments:
Post a Comment